The Power of Ideas

This forum is for submitting ideas for our G-Wizard Software and Voting on them.

How can we improve our G-Wizard software? (Please tell us which package)

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Select what materials are accessible from the dropdown list

I still think it would be great if the user could select what materials are on the material drop down. Yes, the drop down is already a shortened list of popular materials. Yes, you can search for materials and get your history from the more button. I like these improvements, but going a step further and letting me set what is on the drop down would be even better.

In my case it would be only three or four materials. Of course this is a minor improvement to the interface, but every click and every inch of mouse movement you…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Calculator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Work without internet, drop the Adobe AIR junk as it adds dependencies that can and will break.

Within a few minutes i really dislike the required use of internet and the use of Adobe AIR. I don't have internet in the machine shop and i don't allow it because it will then be vulnerable. We run a MakerSpace and the only way to prevent wrong usage is to not have the capability to connect to the internet at all.

Adobe AIR is the worst framework ever, it bogs down the computer, it can not be run together with Mach3 as it sometimes just uses large amounts of CPU while it is minimized. (Probably trying to connect to…

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Rick, you’re mistaken about AIR bogging down the computer. I have thousands of users with no such complaint. And the Internet connection is a fact of life for CNCCookbook software. I’ve explained it before and won’t go into it again.

The software isn’t for everyone, we’re not trying to be. We have a particular vision for what we want to accomplish and we’re sticking to it.

I do regret Adobe dropping support for Linux, but I also have to admit that in the end of the day it is a pretty tiny audience.

• Add units of measurement to Cut Depth and Cut Width to reflect setup option

When selecting either Inches or mm in setup, the unit should also be displayed next to cut dia and tool size for more clearification.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m going to pass on this one. Adding all those units will seriously clutter and already too cluttered screen. You can see which unit system you’re in on the status bar.

• Metric data input in the Gometry tab

How about the ability to input data into the Geometry tab as metric, ie the bolt hole tab for example, the data to define the radius etc is in inches, but the output is metric, probably as I have set the units to metric in the Setup tab. This should carry over to all other tabs etc, if I set to metric in the Setup tab, the whole application should be in metric...

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Calculator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Ability to run on Android Smartphones (not just tablets)

Create a version of GW for Android smartphones, especially those with large screens

19 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Use cut optimizer to generate a cut scenario table

Would be sweet if cut optimizer automatically spit out a table showing finishing and roughing parameters for various common depths / widths of cut. For instance:

Generate cut depth, feed and speed, fix cut width to:
              D x 5%
              D x 40%
              D x 60%
              D x 100%

Generate cut width, feed and speed, fix cut depth to:
              D x 5%
              D x 40%
              D x 60%
              D x 100%
              D x 150%
              D x 200%

41 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                5 comments  ·  Calculator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thought about this for quite a while. As I mention in the comments, the whole point is not to have to use spreadsheets. You can get optimal MRR results from CADCAM Wizards that balance Cut Width and Cut Depth too.

• Post ideas without having votes left

It would be nice if we good post new ideas without having votes left. That way we wouldn't lose great ideas because we cannot post them.

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  3 comments  ·  Other Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Ability to run on Android and iOS Tablets

I usually do my programming on the desktop computer but sometimes need to do it on the lower powered one running mach3. It would be nice to use GWiz for the feeds but the cnc controller does not have a net connection as it far away. My android tablet would be a good way of getting info when I need it.

574 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    24 comments  ·  Other Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Much as I like the idea, the business model for iOS and Android is lousy. They want a 30% revenue share plus users expect the apps to cost less. That’s tough to devote resources to. If that changes down the road, I would reconsider.

Meanwhile, full-scale operating systems are catching up in terms of capability and mobile size. You can buy a Microsoft Surface or similar tablet that runs any Windows software for a few hundred dollars. Those prices will keep coming down and older machines will be available used even more cheaply.

I want to close this one so everyone’s votes can be applied elsewhere.

• reamer - allow user to enter # of teeth

Right now Gwiz appears to assume that all reamers have 3 teeth when it turns inch per tooth to inch per revolution. All of my reamers are 6 tooth so the calculator gives me bogus feed rate values.

It should just prompt the user for # flutes like it does on any other cutter.

2 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Alex, it calculates feeds and speeds without considering the number of teeth. If that sounds strange, it’s because it is following the old adage of the relationship of reamer feeds and speeds to twist drill feeds and speeds.

After it arrives at rpm and feedrate, it backs into the other numbers through some assumptions. However, the feedrate is good.

Email me directly if you want to talk through it a bit more.

• 4 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • View Tool Deflection

When the speeds and feeds screen is simplified include tool deflection. Right now you can only see it in the advanced screen.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Steve, I don’t want to add anything more to the simplified section, because everyone will want something different, LOL.

However, there is good news in the latest release regarding your request. There is a new feature that will automatically switch to advanced mode if there are any fields that turn orange.

So, if you exceed the recommended deflection, the Advanced fields will fly open and you’ll see the excessive deflection right away.

I hope that’ll work for the problem you’re trying to solve.

Best,

BW

• G90.1 (absolute IJK coordinates) doesn't seem to work in the GWizard Editor. G2/G3 commands always want relative IJK positions.

E.g.

G1 X2.432 Y1.465
                          G3 X2.590 Y1.623 I0 J0.158

gives a 90 deg arc with either G90.1 or G91.1. With G90.1 it should be

G1 X2.432 Y1.465
                          G3 X2.590 Y1.623 I2.432 J1.623

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  G-Code Editor/Simulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add correction factors for custom tools SFM/IPT

Hi Bob,

working hard on getting the cut and feeds data from my tools into GWIzard I found that there's some functionality missing. For example the cutting data given by the vendor of on of my end mills is related to a cut depth half the tool diameter. If the cut depth is equal to the tool diameter the manufacturer suggessts a correction factor of 0.75 times the SFM and 0.8 times the IPT.

I think it would be great if GWizard could consider such correction factors.

Greez,

dialsc

4 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Calculator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m gonna pass on this one. It adds a lot of complexity for very little value. GW already has a much better internal mathematical model for this than can be expressed by simple tables in a catalog.

• Expand dropdown lists to remove scroll bar.

I realise that this is not an essential but it could be a minor improvement. I use the metric thread charts mainly and always have to scroll down to find them and then I use more of the bigger diameters so I have to scroll down once more to find them. There does appear to be enough room to just increase the length of the dropdown and eliminate the scrollbar.
                              Any chance?
                              RossF

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Ross, I’m going to decline this one. We’re going to be adding more threads, so at some point, there will be a scroll bar no matter what. We’ll also be adding a search feature that I think will make these dropdowns be used less.

Best,

BW

• Don't see your idea?

The Power of Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base